Pages

Sunday 11 August 2013

Pink and Gold Chevron Sewing Box/Table Tutorial

Chevrons are all I can think about at the moment. I dream of Pink and Gold colour combinations and Annie Sloan is fast taking over Martha as my new life crush. There can only be one solution.



To give your unloved furniture a Chevron make-over, you will need;

- Base colour paint - I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and highly recommend you do too.
- Acrylic colour of your choice for the chevrons, nothing fancy just normal acrylic craft paint
- Paintbrush
- Bin liner (to cover your painting surface)
- Clear spray paint sealer - only required if your surface is going to be heavily used, as the acrylic may wear down.

This 1920's wooden sewing box belonged to my grandfathers mother, it has been passed down the generations and I've had it for a couple of years and I love it, but it looked totally out of place in my bedroom and to be honest, in a horrible way I started to resent it. I wanted to keep it because it's a beautiful piece of furniture and it's history with my family was so great but I really, really didn't like it!



After checking with my mum that she was okay with me tampering with it I decided to bring it into the modern age and make it loved again (I think my family members past and present would be okay with that)

If you haven't tried Annie Sloan paint, I honestly can't describe to you to how amazing it really is. It goes on ANYTHING (I mean anything) only needs one coat, dries super quick and I'm pretty sure 1 tin would cover the great wall of China. For this project I went with Antoinette which is a lovely dusky pink shade.

I didn't need to sand or do anything else to the wood, I literally just got stuck in!

 
I decided to leave the inside as it was originally, I love the contrast of the dark wood and the pale exterior.

I left this to dry overnight - although Annie Sloan paint is touch dry in less than an hour, this needs to be bone dry to decorate.

The next morning I taped a chevron pattern with normal parcel sellotape (masking tape, or even better frog tape would have worked better)



 (I had to make the colours in this photo much darker so you could see the tape!)

Once I had checked the tape was pressed flat with no air bubbles and creases I got to work with my gold paint


 I left this to dry for a minimum of two hours - otherwise the paint will lift off when you pull back the tape. Then...voila!


 It was a very nervous few seconds when the tape was coming off I can tell you!
I'm thrilled with how it turned out - and I'm sure it's past owners would be glad that it's being used and loved again.




No comments:

Post a Comment